Make Upperdark Harder... like impossible to solo harder.

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Sun Wukong

Re: Make Upperdark Harder... like impossible to solo harder.

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Underdark players on the surface, and surface players within the tunnels of the Underdark, who have been identified are considered to have consented to PvP
That is from: viewtopic.php?p=35832#p35832
A character who continuously provokes, slanders, bullies, or offends another character is considered to have consented to PvP with that other character. The offended character is not required to give an RP out before engaging in PvP with the aggressor, as long as the attack occurs during the offending.
That is from: viewtopic.php?p=35832#p35832

In theory, nothing in the rules prevented you from trying to slaughter them. But then again, I have had my share of PvP on this server and those PvP rules are pretty much meaningless when it comes to DM interpretations of the PvP situations.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Insults are totally enough to PvP that dwarf, you're imagining red tape where there is none.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Ariexedes

Unread post by Ariexedes »

Steve wrote:
Yes, I fully agree that by Level 30, a Character has slaughtered almost every type of Epic Monster that the Sword Coast could possibly conjure up, and its not like those Foes are called Pseudo-Balor or Decrepit-Dragon, but actually the REAL THING of IG nightmares...and most likely, your PC's death (if this was PnP).

I'm also not saying Characters—not Players!—might be Epic Adventurers and are willing to risk it all to venture into the Upperdark/Underdark...but for Ao's sake, make it as difficult as possible, which supports Canon Lore, than the cake walk OOC loot/grind spot that it turned out to be.
More finding it that those level 30's have nothing to lose and 'die' every other day then just resurrect 20 seconds later like it didn't happen leaving no lasting effect as stated by kiran above. Find those lower levels are actually thinking if I die I actually lose something like exp and lees likely to do something for the sake of just doing it.
Alyvire
Aramoria Wysalrth Retired
Makenzie Chersk
Marmiea Retired
Valkira Vexx Church of Shar '17 -
Wildsheep

Unread post by Wildsheep »

The truth is that it's fairly easy to travel through the Upper Dark so perhaps buffing the upperdark mobs would be a good idea. At least then it would feel slighly dangerous as the underdark is supposed to be.

As someone new to the UD who has only been playing there for a couple of days, I can say that I had no problem with the drommon. Most people only really use the word for I, you, greetings, farewell, male, female, wizard and priestess which is fine and gives some flavor when used with moderation. My main concern is that there is nothing to achieve down there since there might not be enough players to create any kind of intrigue and most guilds are not active, but there's nothing that can really be done about that, perhaps if there was some kind of dm plot going on with some events then things would feel more alive.
Dnaera Ozkam - Red Wizard of Thay

Kiren 'Pearl' Myrlow - Golden Wheel
Vieice Jhala'tlar - Priestess of Eilistraee
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

Some of the best rp happens when UD interacts with Surface. UD is already mostly barren, most of the people that still play there focus most of their rp on causing trouble on the surface as there is nothing else to do... banning interaction would not only unnecessarily punish those who like such but it would make the UD even more empty then it already is.

Also i find it amusing that people who play on an (RP) server, and constantly whine if people dont do rp now wish to completely ban a perfectly valid source of rp... hypocrits perhaps? :snooty:
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
samb123

Unread post by samb123 »

V'rass wrote:Also i find it amusing that people who play on an (RP) server, and constantly whine if people dont do rp now wish to completely ban a perfectly valid source of rp... hypocrits perhaps? :snooty:
I mean, is it really "valid RP" if it breaks the basic world rules, such as IC laws, OR if it violates the Server rules? ;)
Malign Ashmeddai, tiefling and "Fellblade"
Biography | Fell Epiphanies
Ilzsa Murnyethara, tiefling and "Hexmage"
Biography
"Betrayer... In truth, it was I who was betrayed [...]" (Illidan Stormrage, The Frozen Throne)
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

samb123 wrote:
V'rass wrote:Also i find it amusing that people who play on an (RP) server, and constantly whine if people dont do rp now wish to completely ban a perfectly valid source of rp... hypocrits perhaps? :snooty:
I mean, is it really "valid RP" if it breaks the basic world rules, such as IC laws, OR if it violates the Server rules? ;)
Sometimes, yes.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
samb123

Unread post by samb123 »

Tekill wrote:
samb123 wrote:
Sometimes, yes.
So, what you're saying is, it's fine to break immersion by breaking world rules OR to break the server rules... as long as it's "valid RP" (a very ambiguous and subjective term)?

Um... you should explain...
Biography
"Betrayer... In truth, it was I who was betrayed [...]" (Illidan Stormrage, The Frozen Throne)
Wildsheep

samb123 wrote: So, what you're saying is, it's fine to break immersion by breaking world rules OR to break the server rules... as long as it's "valid RP" (a very ambiguous and subjective term)?

In certain circumstances like for example when an evil guild gives someone a task to do in the surface
a drow can have an rp reason to come to the surface. Looking only at extreme anecdotes will not help anyone.

samb123

Unread post by samb123 »

Wildsheep wrote:
samb123 wrote: So, what you're saying is, it's fine to break immersion by breaking world rules OR to break the server rules... as long as it's "valid RP" (a very ambiguous and subjective term)?

In certain circumstances like for example when an evil guild gives someone a task to do in the surface
a drow can have an rp reason to come to the surface. Looking only at extreme anecdotes will not help anyone.
That doesn't break server rules though. That's perfectly valid under the rules. I posted the relevant rule here: viewtopic.php?p=822799#p822799 , earlier in the thread.
Biography
Wildsheep

Well, if there were something similar to the Netheril maze blocking the entrance to the Underdark how would it affect the Underdark population? I'm still not sure if that's a smart thing to do with such a low playerbase down there already.

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Wildsheep wrote:Well, if there were something similar to the Netheril maze blocking the entrance to the Underdark how would it affect the Underdark population?
I would predict a rather minimal change. The surface has boat load of epics, and you can actually level up faster in the underdark than on the surface. Thus, if someone wants to go up or down, they will.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

Im not saying lets stop all surface and UD Roleplay. Im saying lets make it a little bit more difficult so that people actually THINK about their reasons better than "Oh i wanted some treasure from Kros" or "oh i think im going to go kill me some elves today and laugh about it when i ressurect back at home"

Yes there should be interactions between top and bottom but what we have right now is just stupid. It was much bettter back in the day when the DM were the only one who could allow such things because at least then it had meaningful RP and when someone screamed "DROW ON TEH SURFACE" people were genuinely interested/afraid not "Oh.. again. Ok"
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

Never said anything about breaking server rules... im not suggesting that. IG rules/laws though like those issued by the dukes or Amn are however open game.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
samb123

Unread post by samb123 »

Sun Wukong wrote:
Wildsheep wrote:Well, if there were something similar to the Netheril maze blocking the entrance to the Underdark how would it affect the Underdark population?
I would predict a rather minimal change. The surface has boat load of epics, and you can actually level up faster in the underdark than on the surface. Thus, if someone wants to go up or down, they will.
I'd have to agree. The difference is, it would require more work - which it should - to get from the UD to the surface and visa versa.
Oh, and I further contend that teleporting should NOT work, if one teleports from the UD to the surface and visa verse. None of our characters should be able to conjure the magical power required to do such a thing.
V'rass wrote:Never said anything about breaking server rules... im not suggesting that. IG rules/laws though like those issued by the dukes or Amn are however open game.
Insofar as you preserve integrity of the game world, I agree that breaking IC laws are open game, yes.

The problem is, many breaks those IC laws and expect no consequences. Being unwilling to accept, or un-expectant of, consequences of breaking IC laws is, imho, NOT preserving integrity of the game world and therefore immersion breaking. A good rule of thumb is: never do anything without expecting a consequence (whether the consequence is good or bad).
Last edited by samb123 on Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Biography

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”